End of August Check-In

Summer is ending early for us as school begins *before* Labor Day this year.  And while a part of me feels I should feel bad about this, I don't.

I've been looking forward to fall and less to do--from yardwork to socializing, from summer activity to the next summer activity.

My calendar is quite empty for September.

There is a note on my desk that says:  Keep September open - Be the crystallized ginger.

(The crystallized ginger part is reference to a saying another writer friend and I made up to remind ourselves to be sweet but strong in our beliefs and with our time.)

So I'm careful what I will add to it.

This next week I'll be getting my shed ready to write.  I'll be organizing and cleaning the house.  I'll be cleaning out and giving away.  I'll be buying non-pariels, crystallized ginger and cutting flowers for my desk.

The Tuesday after Labor Day I will play Everything But the Girl and wear corduroys.  I will eat blackberries off the vine and shut the door...


Share

Comments

  1. I asolutely LOVE crystalized ginger. I think I'll have some today in fact.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really hate the taste of candied ginger--but Everything But the Girl is my favorite music group of ALL TIME. Rock on, Kel!

    --Other Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I was reading this, I started to hear the whisper of a poem in it.

    If you'd permit me to play just a little here:

    *

    Summer is ending early.
    I should feel bad about this, I don't.

    To fall and less to do--
    from yardwork, from summer
    to the next summer.

    My calendar is quite empty for September.

    There is a note: Keep September
    open. Be the crystallized ginger.


    (To remind ourselves to be sweet
    but strong and with our time.)

    So I'm careful what I will add to it.

    I'll be getting the shed. Cleaning
    the house. I'll be buying
    non-pareils, crystallized ginger
    and cutting flowers.

    After Labor Day I will play Everything
    But The Girl, I will eat blackberries
    off the vine:
    and shut the door.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lyle,

    I kind of love that you did that. I can see the poem in there as well. Thanks for the hint.

    best,
    Kells

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Always love to hear from you...and the anonymous option is open for those feeling shy.