Confession Tuesday - The Opinionated Edition



Dear Readers,

I'm feeling much more relaxed since my last posting.  It's been 7 days since my last confession and I confess I never think I have anything to say when I begin these posts, but I always do.

~

I confess that if you were to ask me if I'm opinionated, I'd say no, but I'm completely opinionated.  Very opinionated.

I had this happen recently.  I was telling a friend that I didn't have strong opinions about things, then went on about something I had a strong opinion about thus completely disproving my own self-concept.

Thinking it over, what I realize is that while I am very much a live-and-let-live gal, there are certain beliefs I just, well, believe in.

I think people can see me as easy-going, casual or laid-back because I don't try to debate everyone's opinion, sentences, statements, etc.  I try to be open-minded as much as possible and listen to other points of view without feeling as if I need to insert my own belief into the conversation.  I guess I'm not really into trying to change someone's mind.

It took me a couple decades to realize that just because someone believes something different than I do, it doesn't mean that I'm right and they are wrong (or vice versa), it just means it's just different.  (I've been working for years trying not to label things right/wrong as I just think that shuts down a lot of interesting things in life.)

As a friend said, There are a million ways to wash dishes.  

And I realize this is life.  There are a million ways to live and do things, but there are no one right ways or wrong ways, just different.

But back to opinions. There are a few strong opinions I have.  And I confess, I do still label things right/wrong, though they are probably not what you think they are.



1)  I confess it drives me absolutely bonkers that people still wear those digital watches that beep on the hour.

I was recently watched one of the best movies I've seen in a long time called Exit Through the Gift Shop, an indie documentary by the street artist Banksy,

(HIGHLY Recommend by the way, if you can find this film near you, see it-- it's interesting and quite funny at times, but a great insight to street art and the art world in general...)

Anyway, the film begins and about 15 minutes into it, just at that point where I'm completely lost in what's happening on the screen, someone's watch beeps, that quick beep-beep as they do and I know immediately that's it's 5 o'clock.  My mind has left that magical world of film back into a world with time.  Bugger!

It takes me a few minutes, but again I return into the film and I am in the place of FLOW, that timeless place where there are no clocks and in the middle of my happy place-- beep, beep--  Ugh!  It must now be 6 o'clock, which has my mind doing simple math figuring out how many minutes are left in the movie before this wonderful film ends.

My opinions--

a)  Why on earth would you want a watch that beeps every hour to remind you that yes, 60 more minutes of your life has passed by?  To me, having to wear one of these watches daily would be my own personal purgatory, like shopping at Costco (my other purgatory).

b)  If you wear one of these watches, please remember there are some of us in the world who do everything in their power not to be controlled by time, who love being lost in time and do not want to know (or need to know) the hour -every hour.

c)  And if you must wear one of these watches, please do not wear them into movie theaters, especially small movie theaters.


2)  I confess I absolutely love it when someone tells me that they have a soft-boiled egg for breakfast and coffee.  I don't know why.  I think I find it quite romantic and self-caring for oneself.  I know, this makes no sense.  But it makes me happy when I hear people are eating soft-boiled eggs for breakfast.


3)  I confess I truly believe no one should skip dessert.  Even if you're "watching your weight," there still should be a bit of sweet at the end of a meal.


4)  I confess that I think all writers need to make their writing a priority.  As you will see in an upcoming post, I'm very opinionated about my writing time and writing time/writers in general.  My posts become a little ranty this week, but I'm quite passionate about my belief that if you have something inside you that says you should write, you should write.


5)  I confess I panic if I can't find my slippers.

Amen.

Share

Comments

  1. Beautiful confessions! I had to share too...just as I was reading your opinions on watches going off, my husband's watch (sitting on the counter) went off at it's normal daily time - it is an alarm he set awhile ago and now can't figure out how to turn the darn thing off.

    I, too, am trying to let go of "right" and "wrong" and find it both annoying and fascinating to observe my own hypocracies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisa,

    Funny about the watch! I think it's interesting how our objects have their own digital voices to yell for us occasionally. hope you found its off button!

    it definitely can be hard to let go of right/wrong. I grew up in a very right/wrong world and I think the controlling part of me likes those rules, where the artist/writer part wants to observe and connect and check things out.

    Thanks for your note!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i had a digital watch like that, a cheapie, i took when we traveled overseas for the first time so i could have one watch with the local time and one with home time. somehow it became set to go off at 3:30 in the afternoon. i hid it away in my file cabinet because I couldn't find the manual and i guess i was just too lazy to take the battery out or something and everyday for at least a year i'd hear the beep beep at 3:30 like clockwork (or other times with time change but ya know what i mean!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kel, make yourself a soft-boiled egg soon! :) PS my word verification is "unwingle"--wow

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Always love to hear from you...and the anonymous option is open for those feeling shy.