1) Organizations like this Operation Kid Equip, a 501 nonprofit organization is looking for books to donate to low-income & at-risk kids in the Detroit Metro area. If you have 10 or more books you can donate in one of these age groups: baby-3, ages 4-8, or ages 9-12
go here for more info & free postage.
Also, if you're in Michigan, you can drop off books in Troy (one of two places in Michigan I have visited, btw),
- To donate locally, drop books off at
- OKE Teachers’ Annex & Operations Center
1830 Stephenson Highway, Suite B
Troy, Michigan 48083
- Monday, Wednesday, Friday from 2:30p.m. – 6:30p.m.
- Saturday from 10:00a.m. – 2:00p.m.
2) Elizabeth Austen's new poetry book, Every Dress a Decision was just released! She'll be reading at Open Books in Seattle (a couple blocks from singer Dave Matthews house, fyi) on Friday at 7:30 p.m.
3) Wendy Call's new nonfiction book,
No Word for Welcome: The Mexican Village Faces the Global Economy was also just released.
All these writers and organizations that do good work in the community.