Emily Dickinson Book Recommendations -

My Emily Dickinson (New Directions Paperbook)My Wars Are Laid Away in Books: The Life of Emily DickinsonEmily Dickinson: A Biography
The Belle of Amherst



After my last post on Emily's new biography, Lives Like Loaded Guns: Emily Dickinson and Her Family's Feuds, Jessie asked what biography I recommended to start with Dickinson.

Here are my favorite Dickinson books--

My Emily Dickinson ($10.17) by Susan Howe - While this deals more with Emily's work, it has some intriguing insights to her work as both feminist & rebellious.

Emily Dickinson: A Biography by Connie Ann Kirk ($35, hardcover).  This book was written to teach the life of Emily Dickinson and not create controversy or be a bestseller.  A good understanding to Emily's life for anyone interested in learning it.

Leslie recommended this Emily biography,My Wars Are Laid Away in Books: The Life of Emily Dickinson.  I haven't read it, but will definitely check it out!


Also, I watched this quite a few years back and enjoyed it-- The Belle of Amherst with Julie Harris, (a one-woman play on Emily's life) on PBS and remember it being pretty good.  I just read the Amazon reviews on this and it sounds like others liked it as well and recommended it to introducing Emily to students.  I also think this is available on Netflix's Watch Instantly movies.




Share

Comments

  1. Do you know Open Me Carefully -- ED's letters to sister in law Susan? That's definitely worth checking out. And the long bio by Richard Sewell is pretty comprehensive.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Always love to hear from you...and the anonymous option is open for those feeling shy.