Confession Tuesday

It's been a week (I think!) since I've confessed or even really been around or have I? Been around? I've been around eating chocolate covered strawberries on Valentine's Day. But this week, do I have anything to confess?

Yes, definitely--

1) I found Slumdog Millionaire to be uplifting. I have learned after talking with others that they have found it to be depressing, draining, and overwhelming. If you haven't seen it, I don't want to spoil the movie for you (I will blog about it after the Academy Awards so hopefully everyone who has wanted to see it will--see confession 2 for why I feel this way), but I think it's interesting how the same movie can make one person feel almost inspired by the human spirit, the inner goodness of people and our ability as humans to pull through bad times and someone else just feel the world is a terrible place with violence and child abuse.

This isn't to say I didn't see this aspect in the movie and that the movie didn't have terribly disturbing scenes, but even while watching the very worst scenes, I found hope throughout the movie and saw how people survive, even through constant abuse and neglect, people can endure and still be good and loving and strong.


2) I like to see a movie without knowing *anything* about it. I came very very close to this with Slumdog. I went in knowing it had to do with India and that was about it. I shhhed a lot of people (including my mum, who is notorious for telling too much about a movie!) My mum is the person who will say, "You will love the surprise ending because the spy really isn't a spy but an alien and he marries his first love who is secretly a heiress and they end up in a castle somewhere in Spain baking bread."


3) I have been revised my manuscript enough that I almost did a post that just read: GENIUS! And I was glad because a few hours later, I would have posted "Above Average!" And by the next morning, it would have just been, "Done (??)"


4) Since January 1st, I've been trying to do a submission a week. I think I haven't missed a week.


5) Thanks for all who have sent good thoughts to my family. My mum (who had surgery) is recovering perfectly and is doing very well. My husband, who had the first surgery has also done very well and is scheduled to return to his work of saving lives in March.


6) I confess I hope I have more me time soon. ;-)


* * *

Comments

  1. Hey Kelli!

    My husband and I went in without knowing ANYTHING about slumdog. I came out full of hope, and he came out greatly disturbed and overwhelmed. Just as you've described! So there you go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go see "I've Loved You So Long" starring Kristen Scott Thomas. Don't read a word about it...just find it and go. I promise at the end you'll be crying, inspired and believing KST is one of the greatest actresses on earth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad to hear that your family is doing well.

    I want more "me time" too. It seems like we never have enough, that we always want more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lorie Ann-- the more I talk with people, the more I'm interested in this. I think it says so much about the quality of movie as how it creates such different responses in people. I love that. I think it's good for conversation. Thx for your note.

    Collin-- I've got that title down on my list to watch!

    Maya-- Thank you! And Me time is always good ! I look forward to your new book!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really liked Slumdog and hope it does well at the Oscars.

    For me sending out a few poems a month has been extremely helpful. *smile* Hope your manuscript finds a good home soon.

    And I'm glad your family members are getting better.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Always love to hear from you...and the anonymous option is open for those feeling shy.