Thankful Thursday - A Year of Success

In December, a friend and I were talking about goals for the New Year and she asked me what I was most happy about achieving in 2011 and I said, "Well, I didn't really do too much."

Really? 


"Well, I worked on Crab Creek Review and did a few readings, but that was about it," I said as if her tone was completely uncalled for.

My friend responded:
Hmmm, that's interesting, Kelli, as I remember your book winning the ForeWord Book of the Year Prize in Poetry and that it was a Washington State Book Finalist.  You also edited an anthology and co-directed Poets on the Coast Writing Retreat.  And didn't you start Two Sylvias Press, have two writing residencies, teach at Centrum, Western Washington University, Field's End, have poems published on The Rumpus, in the Alaska Quarterly Review, Cerise Press and continue to volunteer with seniors helping them write their stories?


My response?

"I forgot."

* * *

This conversation with a friend made me realize how easily we forget all the good news, accomplishments (large &small) and successes we have throughout the year.  So I decided to change that this year; I created a Success Chart--

I created this chart to keep on my desk and write down any successes that happen in 2012, from Fire On Her Tongue showing up in the #1 spot for downloaded books on Kindle in Poetry to being asked to being contacted by a stranger who liked a poem of mine.  Anything that made me feel good about my writing life will be included.

And maybe you need one too to help you remember.

So I've uploaded onto MediaFire (something else I'm thankful for)--

if you want a copy of the Success Chart for yourself, you can download it free here.


I think it's easy to forget what we've achieved, so today I give thanks for remembering and for all the successes of last year and the ones in this year to come (and be documented).







Share

Comments

  1. You made me laugh! And congrats on all your successes, large or small. Or forgotten!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is easy to forget the accomplishments, especially in light of what you still want to accomplish. Your friend is awesome for pointing these successes out to you. Your work (in all areas) continues to inspire me.

    Great idea with the success chart! I've heard of replacing "To-Do Lists" with "What I've Done Lists" so that at the end of the day (or month, or year) you can see your accomplishments. I'm gonna try it too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very enlightening. I think we often compare ourselves with others so much that our own success seems small in comparison until someone tells us something that makes us see things a different way. Congrats on taking the steps to celebrate yourself and encourage others to do the same!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Kathleen! It's kind of ridiculous to think I didn't "do much," but yes, in life, i am quite forgetful of what I've done. It is pretty funny! And thank you!

    Maxie-- I LOVE the idea of a "What I've Done List!" Imagine if during the day we kept those, how fulfilled we'd feel at the end of the day when we saw all the things we did!

    And yes, I'm so thankful to my friend for reminding me I had a good (successful!) year!

    CD-- Exactly. I'm really glad my friend was paying attention. I do think it can be easier to see others' successes than our own.

    THank you all for your notes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Kelli - The Success Chart is a great idea & can be incorporated into many areas of life - not just writing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is absolutely awesom! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so wonderful Kelli! We're often the last ones to acknowledge how hard we work, and the fruits that come from that work. My therapist is always laughing at me when I'm whining that "I haven't been very productive" (!)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Always love to hear from you...and the anonymous option is open for those feeling shy.