Confession Tuesday

My New Book of Kells blog banner is the left upper corner of this painting...


Dear Reader,

It's been a year-change and a new anthology since my last confession.  I am catching up on the things I let slide winter break, mostly emails, mostly emails and laundry.  I'm not sure what's on my mind today, let's see if there's anything worth sharing.

To the confessional--

I confess, so far I've been doing pretty well with my resolutions (okay, I know it's only day 3, but it's a start).  I have not gone onto Facebook (I have returned to Facebook Fridays) and have been spending much less time online.

I've been doing a sketch-a-day in my journal and really enjoy getting lost in drawing.

I confess I have always wanted to be a visual artist, but have never felt my talents were there or have even known where to begin.  With writing and poetry, I can just sit down and create, with art and drawing, it's a struggle for ideas, for what to do and what to do next, and I never really like my own artwork, so that's a huge bummer right there.

But what I love about art, museums, and artists is how they inspire me to live more authentically and they inspire my own work.

~

I confess new year's always make me think about beginnings and what I can do differently, how I can start fresh.  Like my new banner and blog colors (if you're reading this on GoogleReader, you may have no idea what I'm talking about), but I like to mix it up a bit, not because I like change, but because I don't like change.

The photo of the cakes is one I took at the Smithsonian.  Wayne Thiebaud's, Cakes (1963)  It makes me incredibly happy to look at it because it mixes two of my favorite things--dessert & art.


I chose it because my next manuscript is dealing a lot with art and I wanted a visual reminder of artwork in my blog (I also like cake a lot).  


It will take me a little while to get comfortable with the new look of my blog, but I do this each year.  It's kind of annoying if you don't like change (like me), but I make myself feel uncomfortable every so often just to see what I can gain from it.


I confess I am most happy in my routine and habits.  Sometimes it scares me how happy I am there.  


Amen.





Share

Comments

  1. Thank you Kelli, for the beautiful anthology and the new Crab Creek Review.
    I guess I have a similar confession--I, too, think I would have like to have been something else, a visual artist for example, but never felt I could draw well enough. But, at a certain point, it's fun just to do it anyhow.

    I look forward to seeing your drawings on this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year Kelli!
    I sent you an email back channel. Get back to me when you can?
    xo
    Peter

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Always love to hear from you...and the anonymous option is open for those feeling shy.