Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Confession Tuesday

My New Book of Kells blog banner is the left upper corner of this painting...

Dear Reader,

It's been a year-change and a new anthology since my last confession.  I am catching up on the things I let slide winter break, mostly emails, mostly emails and laundry.  I'm not sure what's on my mind today, let's see if there's anything worth sharing.

To the confessional--

I confess, so far I've been doing pretty well with my resolutions (okay, I know it's only day 3, but it's a start).  I have not gone onto Facebook (I have returned to Facebook Fridays) and have been spending much less time online.

I've been doing a sketch-a-day in my journal and really enjoy getting lost in drawing.

I confess I have always wanted to be a visual artist, but have never felt my talents were there or have even known where to begin.  With writing and poetry, I can just sit down and create, with art and drawing, it's a struggle for ideas, for what to do and what to do next, and I never really like my own artwork, so that's a huge bummer right there.

But what I love about art, museums, and artists is how they inspire me to live more authentically and they inspire my own work.


I confess new year's always make me think about beginnings and what I can do differently, how I can start fresh.  Like my new banner and blog colors (if you're reading this on GoogleReader, you may have no idea what I'm talking about), but I like to mix it up a bit, not because I like change, but because I don't like change.

The photo of the cakes is one I took at the Smithsonian.  Wayne Thiebaud's, Cakes (1963)  It makes me incredibly happy to look at it because it mixes two of my favorite things--dessert & art.

I chose it because my next manuscript is dealing a lot with art and I wanted a visual reminder of artwork in my blog (I also like cake a lot).  

It will take me a little while to get comfortable with the new look of my blog, but I do this each year.  It's kind of annoying if you don't like change (like me), but I make myself feel uncomfortable every so often just to see what I can gain from it.

I confess I am most happy in my routine and habits.  Sometimes it scares me how happy I am there.  




  1. Thank you Kelli, for the beautiful anthology and the new Crab Creek Review.
    I guess I have a similar confession--I, too, think I would have like to have been something else, a visual artist for example, but never felt I could draw well enough. But, at a certain point, it's fun just to do it anyhow.

    I look forward to seeing your drawings on this blog!

  2. Happy New Year Kelli!
    I sent you an email back channel. Get back to me when you can?


Always love to hear from you...and the anonymous option is open for those feeling shy.

Related Posts with Thumbnails