Friday, January 08, 2010

On Being a Writer



I am working on a class about writer's block and internal editors, which I am going to teach next week and while I was getting my handouts ready, I end up going on to Facebook (in a poor attempt to procrastinate or take a little break) and find this gem in an article a friend posted by Junot Diaz:




In my view a writer is a writer because even when there is no hope, even when nothing you do shows any sign of promise, you keep writing anyway.

*

God, I love that.

You are a writer because you can stop writing. You are a writer because you cannot not write. When there is no hope and you have no belief you'll ever seriously get published or what's the point, you still write.



By the way, Junot Díaz's novel The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao (published by Riverhead) won the Pulitzer Prize in 2008.
Post a Comment
Related Posts with Thumbnails