free Association



(Note: We stopped at this roadside attraction ever other summer when we made our annual road trip down to Disneyland when I was a child. I have a picture of me sitting on his shoe and I remember someone was there behind the scenes with a microphone who would say things like, "Hello little girl with the barrette..." We would also stop at Redwood Forest and Sea Lion Caves.

But now, to the words...

From Unconscious Mutterings


365 :: year
Tombstone :: pizza
Dumb :: luck
Intrusive :: medical procedure
Fat ::head
Axe ::Paul Bunyan
Planned ::Parenthood
Spike ::Jones
Bleach ::clothes
Shopkeeper ::Shoemaker


While doing this I thought of a couple things in relationship to writing. The first is that my first thought might not be my best thought because it could be what other are thinking and that would not surprise anyone. I noticed Michael also had Dumb Luck on his word association and it reminded me that sometimes the first connection we think of may not be the most original.

Also, I think this exercise produces some great words or images to add into poems. For example, I cannot think of a poem I've written that has had either Spike Jones or Paul Bunyan. Or a tombstone pizza. This may be a fun way to come up with your own word list because it's all associated with your unconscious.

The link to this is about at Unconscious Mutterings if you want to do one of your own.

Happy Monday. And to all the mothers and fathers out there, happy end of winter break...

Comments

  1. Kelli:

    I always think of luck when I see the word dumb because I associate the two largely because of Sam Hamils Poetry Collection by that title.

    I guess that's the sign of a good title title when it stays with you loike that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 365 :: year
    Tombstone :: Arizona
    Dumb :: Bastard
    Intrusive :: Neighbor
    Fat ::Bald
    Axe ::to grind
    Planned ::Disaster
    Spike ::Jones
    Bleach ::Boys
    Shopkeeper ::Stationery


    word verification::kemist

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michael,

    I was thinking of Sam Hamill's poetry collection as well.

    Justin-- omg, I love "bleach boys." ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was just talking with someone today about our doubts that first words are the best words. Makes me think you could do a really fun poetry exercise with the game scattergories where u try to come up with the word u don't think anyone else would!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Always love to hear from you...and the anonymous option is open for those feeling shy.