Confession Tuesday


***Photo from a small church in Alaska

Dear Reader, it's that time, confession time and I confess I'm not as bothered by the heat as others and we're havin' a heatwave, a tropical heatwave, the temperature's rising... Yesterday driving to get yet another pet for the Agodon zoo (this time a guinea pig named Chica), the temp outside read: 101F. I wish I had my camera to take a photo of it.

Because most the windows in my house face North, it doesn't get too warm in my home. No A/C. Yesterday when it hit over 90 we finally took out our fan. But even outside, I like the heat. I tend to run cold (I think it has to do with my very low blood pressure) and tend to wear sweaters when others wear tanktops. Whatever it is, I feel for the warm people of the area who are not happy with the weather.

But I'm already rambling, let's get to the confessional--

I confess I believe doing things in many small but focused spurts.

I will ignore the yard for weeks, then spend 5 days focused on it and forget it again. I think these small blurts of energy used in a focused way can produce big results because they don't overwhelm me. If someone said, "Clean up the entire yard" I'd want to pass out. But if I think "I'll clean out the section with the lavender, or the veggie garden, I'm okay.

I do this poetry and my mss as well. I will see my mss in sections as individual "chapbooks" and well, I know I can create a chapbook. Just as I know I can write a short story, I can write a series of linked short stories, which then becomes a novel.

I think this works for everything, including saving money. $5 can be a latte, or put it away 2x a week and there's an extra $40 a month.

*

My golden retriever, Buddy Holly, is currently wearing the "cone of shame" because he has a hot spot on his tail and won't stop chewing it. He is knocking everything over with it including us. Poor guy. Only 2 more days!

*

My friend Marty is coming over to write with me today and I'm excited about that. I'm making us fruit salad and we'll sit in the poetry barn and hope to be inspired.

*

I want to rename the poetry barn something a little nicer. I also call it "the shed."

*

I confess I really connected with a line from the family movie "Because of Winn-Dixie" (which has Dave Matthews in it for all you DMB fans). The line was said by Cicely Tyson's character, "There ain't no way you can hold on to something that wants to go, you understand? You can only love what you got while you got it."

I think much of my fear in life results from fear of loss. So I'm going to remember this.

*

I confess I think we're all more broken than we let on. And I think the goal is not to see our chipped areas or our scratches, but how we are useful.

*

I confess I work on this a lot. And it's another thing I try to remind myself.

*

I confess I need to be living more simply and am working towards this.

*


I confess I think you're wonderful.



~

Comments

  1. I think you're wonderful, too!

    i'm not writing much this summer, but I hope to snap out of it this summer.

    Glad you're enjoying the summer heat.

    The line was said by Cicely Tyson's character, "There ain't no way you can hold on to something that wants to go, you understand? You can only love what you got while you got it."

    Amen to that!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Always love to hear from you...and the anonymous option is open for those feeling shy.