Poem from James Wright: "Lying in a Hammock..." (This is my summertime life.)

If I had a top ten list for poems, this would be on it.




Lying in a Hammock at William Duffy’s Farm in Pine Island, Minnesota


Over my head, I see the bronze butterfly,   
Asleep on the black trunk,
Blowing like a leaf in green shadow.   
Down the ravine behind the empty house,   
The cowbells follow one another   
Into the distances of the afternoon.   
To my right,
In a field of sunlight between two pines,   
The droppings of last year’s horses   
Blaze up into golden stones.
I lean back, as the evening darkens and comes on.   
A chicken hawk floats over, looking for home.
I have wasted my life.

BY JAMES WRIGHT

James Wright, “Lying in a Hammock at William Duffy’s Farm in Pine Island, Minnesota” from Above the River: The Complete Poems and Selected Prose. 
from the Poetry Foundation: http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/177229

~ Kells
Don't Miss a Post ~ Subscribe to Book of Kells by Email

Comments