Confession Tuesday - Things I Never Learned Edition


Madonna of the Pomegranate detail by Sandro Botticelli, 1487


Dear Reader,

It's been a week of completed deadlines and crossed off to-do lists.  Still, this week I've been thinking about all the things I've never really learned or understand.  So let me share, here's where my mind is.

To the confessional--


I confess that I still never really know whose turn it is as a 4-way stop.

It's embarrassing to say, but I am the car that either waits for the wave or randomly darts when it looks/seems/could-possibly-be my turn.

~

I confess there are certain foods I don't eat because I never learned how to prepare or cook them.

Dear Pomegranate.  Dear Beets.  Dear Anything-to-do-with-Pork.  Dear T-Bone steak.
(Though I confess I never learned to like steak.)

~

I confess I have never understood what exactly the "School of Quietude" was in poetry (and why I existed).  And honestly, I guess I don't understand why we must try to label aspects of the same art.  On that same note, I also find it interesting why artists/writers sometimes want to be labeled, when personally, I found I've spent my whole life trying to avoid them.

~

I confess I do no know how certain candy bars stay in business-- particularly the Idaho Spud Bar, 5th Avenue Bar, Oh Henry!, and Chunky chocolate.  I don't think I've ever in my life seen anyone purchase one of these, but they must be.

Wait, as a child I think I purchased a Chunky chocolate.  And I think it was good.

~

I confess I never learned to eat politely with a large fork or spoon, or even understand why restaurants use ridiculously large utensils.  I swear, I have felt like Jack who has climbed the beanstalk when I eat at some restaurants.

~

I confess I never I learned how to say goodbye to someone I love(d).

While I have never been sentimental, sometimes I wrap myself up in nostalgia and fall asleep on the grass outside the stadium.

Sometimes I don't think I've learned how to not love someone.  People leave our lives for various reasons and I don't think I have never learned how to let my favorite people go.


Amen.

Share

Comments

  1. First to come, first to go at the stop signs--if both cars come at the exact same moment, the car on the right has the right-of-way. Cross it off your list, Kel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I feel as if I've just evolved a little... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you on the silverware. Give me the salad fork for everything, please. Though I confess to a preference for soupspoons for everthing, too(ie ice cream, grapefruit, in my coffee, etc)

    A Chunky? My absolute, life-long fave! (Dont tell my doctor.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, pomegranates are delicious! Sweet, juicy and bursting with flavor. Sprinkle the seeds in salads, in fruit salads, over ice cream and sorbet...the seeds are even tasty eaten by themselves.

    They're easy to prepare, too. Some people do the soaking water in technique, which is fine but takes away a lot of the juice. Just score the outside, cut off the crown, pull apart the pieces and pull off the seeds. Easy, peasy, lemon-squeezey. Well, pomegranate-squeezey, but that doesn't rhyme. Pomegranate IS a great word, though.

    Here's a link. With pictures, no less.
    http://localfoods.about.com/od/pomegranates/ss/How-To-Eat-A-Pomegranate.htm

    That's the end of my pomegranate commercial. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can help you with the food confession, being a chef and all, just sayin'

    Steak is not that good for us, and its a hit or miss if no one cooks it right...

    Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you want to foray into pork, a tenderloin is a healthy, delicious, affordable, and easy to prepare option. Marinate (just like you would chicken for simplicity's sake), roast on a rack in the oven, let rest for 5 min. under foil, slice, serve.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Always love to hear from you...and the anonymous option is open for those feeling shy.