The Language of Life




As I leaned over to blow dry my hair at the gym this morning, I saw this stored under the table and well, I loved the name of this and how it worked on multiple levels (so yes, when no one was looking, I took it out and photographed it with my phone--note the flowers I positioned near it to give it that "finished" look). Anyway as you can see--

Rest Assured Toilet Covers

First, who knew toilet covers had a name, but Rest Assured, how perfect is that? And what I love most was how they managed to get "ass" in their brand name. Your "ass" is "assured." The other funny thing is if you break "assured" down it's ass-u-red. (Maybe these toilet paper covers prevent you from getting that.) Do others find this stuff as captivating and hilarious as I do? I swear, I must get this into a poem.

And the best thing is that from now on when someone tells me "rest assured," I will probably break out laughing because my image of this cliche has completely changed.

So my challenge to you (if you choose to accept it) is-- what words, brands, language do you see around you every day that is actually pretty smart, witty, or surprising? What words can you find out in the world?

I'm interested and love this stuff. Let me know if you find anything...

Comments

  1. I like that you are so easily amused. Sometimes I get really self conscious about the fact that things cracke me up that no one at home remotely smiles at. Maybe it's a Capracorn thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is totally funny!

    kind of like the one time i saw a commercial for Aspercreme (i never saw it air again) that said - you bet your sweet Ass (heavy on this syllable) percreme.

    hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is too funny! I will never hear the phrase the same again either - I often find humor in the details...can't say I've ever taken a picture of it though! That pic with the posed flower has to be the most hysterical part! Thanks for the laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it!

    When I was a kid I used to read the big PRODUCE signs on I-5 between Seattle and Vancouver, WA as the verbal imperative.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Years back, around the time I was in high school (early 1970's), was when the movie rating system (i.e. rating how old or "mature" the audience had to be) first started using "PG" as the rating for the next level up from G-rated.

    "PG" was also an expression that a lot of girls of high school age or a little younger used for "pregnant," at least in some of the crowd I hung out with.

    To this day if a movie is rated "PG" I immediately think "pregnant." (PG-13, for some reason, doesn't cause the reaction for me.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Michael-- I am so easily amused. Yes, maybe it is a Capricorn thing, we're serious folks with a heart of whimsy. -- I am always cracking myself up, esp. when it comes to wordplay things.

    Jessie-- it's interesting how these products get the asssss- sound in them. I know they all can't be flukes. ;-)

    Dawn-- Thanks! And there was a woman in the stall while I quickly doing this and when I took a photo, it made that definite photo noise and I could think, 'Dear gawd, what does she think I'm photographing out here!" I thought the flowers were a nice touch too. ;-)

    Kathi--
    I grew up in Seattle (I always remember the "Apple Maggot Quarantine area" in Shoreline, but all those years, I never got the double meaning of PRODUCE - now I will. Love it! ;-)

    Lyle- PG-13 would be a little heartbreaking and/or terrible wrong, so I'm glad the connection is just with the PG movies. And now it will be with me as well. ;-) Thanks for your note.


    Thank you all for commenting!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Always love to hear from you...and the anonymous option is open for those feeling shy.