Summer Reading (so far):

What I've read:

Bad Mother (recommend)

Year by the Sea by Joan Anderson (Recommended, but only get this if you like books where nothing happens- see Under the Tuscan Sun)

Jennifer Culkin's new memoir/essays: A Final Arc of Sky: A Memoir of Critical Care (highly recommend, she's a friend of mind and is a fantastic writer!)

What I'm reading:

Freakonomics by Steven Levitt (75% completed , so far, recommend - the only part I didn't enjoy was the details on if there was cheating in sumo wrestling, but I understand its relevence to the rest of the book)

Engulf Your Family in Flames: David Sedaris (so far interesting, but not crazyfunny like his other books)

Outliers, The Story of Success by Malcolm Gladwell: (just began, so far am enjoying)


What's on my list to read:

Womanomics (recommended by January)

Ka-Ching by Denise Duhamel

The Seeker's Guide (I think it's called that)
Madness: A Bi-Polar Life by Marya Hornbacher - I just checked this out from the library.

*

Comments

  1. What I've read (so far):

    Hold Everything Dear by John Berger. His most recent essay collection. Berger is a British Marxist art critic and novelist, among other things. He's one of my favorite writers.

    What I'm reading:

    The Snow Leopard by Peter Matthiessen. His stunning account of going overland through the Himalayas in 1973.

    Scoundrel Time by Lillian Hellman. Hellman's memoir of being called to testify before the House Committee on Un-American Activities in 1952, and of some of the broader background and surrounding events, during the fury of anti-communist terror going on in the United States during those years.

    Valencia by Michelle Tea. Just started this one. A wild quirky breakneck novel of young life on the edge in San Francisco.

    On my list to read:

    Human Landscapes of My Country by Nazim Hikmet. Epic poem by the great 20th century poet of Turkey. I've sampled it, would like to settle into it and read it through.

    I can highly recommend Marya Hornbacher's book Madness, which you have on your list. Marya is a friend. She's written about her struggle with bipolar disorder with devastating honesty.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Always love to hear from you...and the anonymous option is open for those feeling shy.