Confession Tuesday

Confession Tuesday


It’s that time again, how quickly Tuesdays come, especially as the weather (70-85 degrees!) happens in the Northwest.


To the confessional—


I confess I get cranky when I don’t have enough alone time.

Especially in the morning, I like to be by myself for a bit, check my emails, drink my coffee. My family wanders in and out of my room interrupting me, telling me odd facts or sharing important-to-them info. I remind myself how lonely I’d be without them, how much I love them and am thankful for them. I try to smile interruption after interruption. It’s hard though because morning is not my sharing/connecting with the family time, I’m set for late-afternoon, evening, night on that.

But they are both morning people and gab away, want to know if I have “Movie Maker” on my computer, want to tell me I should be certain types of shoes, or that Burger King is giving away Pokemon cards with their Happy Meals, or there’s this guy’s son who is taking special golfing lessons. I remind myself how grateful I am to have people who want to share their lives with me.
Still, sometimes I don’t act as interested/kind as I should.


*

I always forget how much I love my bike until I ride my bike for the first time since fall.

*

I have a bad habit of nicknaming our neighbors (well, actually not just our neighbors). We have The TreeHaters, Rami-the-Punk, The Smoker, NakedChuck, Smokey’s Dad, CrazyRamona, LoudJudy, The RiffRaff, HappyMan, and PizzaLady. I think I may have confessed about this before though. I like them all except Rami the Punk (who recently insulted my dog and drives to fast) and The TreeHaters. I would not have tears if I saw a For Sale sign pop up in front of their homes.

*

I can finally share my good news… I recently received an Artist Trust GAP grant for my second manuscript of peoms… of course, that mss hasn’t found a publisher yet, but I’m looking much more seriously this year and it was a wonderful feeling to have the Artist Trust people support it by giving me a grant to complete it and submit it. It keeps me going.
And Oliver de la Paz was another GAP grant recipient too!


*

I have been sick all week and it’s very weird to be sick in sunny weather.

Comments

  1. Kelli-
    Congratulations on receiving the Artist Trust GAP grant! Very deserving. What excitement!

    On another note I must remember when doing my next gratitude list to add that I'm thankful not to be one of your neighbors, though I must admit I would be curious as to what nick name I might earn if that were the case.

    Actually I'm sure being your neighbor would be way cool because how can you go wrong with a poet as a neighbor? Besides - the NW is so endowed with fascinating poets and writers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! Michael, I know, I sound like a terrible neighbor with my nicknames! You would be ManPoet or something like that. We do have a lot of poets around here, so we have to make sure we can identify them properly.

    PS only 2 of my neighbors know I write, the rest just think I'm unemployed. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. But isn't that their view of all writers? People without real jobs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats, Kelli, the grant is well-deserved :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am the same way when it come to personal time. I like to ease into the day, but that's happening less and less each day.

    And congrats on the grant. Yes, a well-deserved honor. Your manuscript will find a home soon.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Always love to hear from you...and the anonymous option is open for those feeling shy.