Beach Reads & Prompts

Robert Lee Brewer is still doing Wednesday Poetry Prompts on his website (instead of a poem a day, it's a poem a week)



*



I'm enjoying Carolyn Forche's book Blue Hour again. She is to have a new memoir out in the next year or two, which I can't wait to read.



*



For my summer reads, I'm enjoying Joan Anderson's A Year By the Sea (yes, it was 85 degrees here yesterday- in Seattle! so we consider that summer...) The book is a memoir about how she left her husband and family for a year to live by the sea (no worries, her kids were grown).



What's interesting about this is she is an older woman, raised her kids in the 60's and 70's, so moving to the sea and taking time away from her husband and not being the "good girl" or the "good wife" brings up all sorts of feelings of guilt and selfishness in her. I think today's woman still feels these pressures, but we are more aware of nurturing and taking care of ourselves along with the family. But I think this memoir interests people because Joan is doing what many people want to do sometimes, run away...



Also, I said "people" instead of women because we all know that Springsteen song "Got a wife in kids in Baltimore, Jack. I went out for a ride and I never went back..."



Anyway, it's good, light summer reading, perfect for the beach.



*

Comments