AWP, Poetry in a Box, & Projects to Start the Year

Welcome to the Hotel AWP--

So I keep hearing more and more how many people will miss out on going to AWP because they didn't pre-register. Who knew?! I almost wonder if this is a plan to make people not wait until the last minute to register, or maybe now with the internet, more and more people know about the AWP and they just have a huge number of participants. I'm not sure. I know honestly, I hadn't realized exactly what the AWP was (or even cared about it) until about 3 or 4 years ago.

Of course, that said, I've only been to one AWP-- Vancouver. And I told myself I wouldn't go to another until my second book is out. So, it could be a long while until you see me at AWP. I could be attending with my senior discount and AARP card. (But let's hope not.)

*

Poetry Love in 2008

I learned yesterday that I'm going to be one of the 14 poets who will be part of this fantastic Valentine's project that Kristy Bowen's Dancing Girl Press is creating.

Here's how Kristy describes the project:

[The project is made of] epistolary poems for a DIY-inspired book arts anthology project due out in February 2008. This is a small limited edition art book project involving each piece as one of a series of 14 “love” letters by women poets/artists in a 5 x 7 box, each with its own author-designed envelope.

I am thrilled to be a part of this and being the Capricorn that I am, have already created my design and will be working on making a hundred of these this month. I see this project as the literary equivalent of receiving a box of chocolates for Valentine's day...except less calories and more thought for the brain.

By the way, if you want to be a subscriber to Kristy's press, for $100 you'll received one of these boxes as well as many other cool things including chapbooks. Learn more about that here.

*

Other projects I'm working on in '08--

My manuscript-- which is complete, just in need of a good home.

The motherhood anthology -- the timeline for this has changed a little bit as my co-editor has had some health concerns. She is still very passionate about the project, but we may not be able to complete it as soon as we had planned to. I've just begun sending emails to the poets who submitted--we received over 1300 poems--but I'm making a batch of "finalists," which are poems that I will share with Elisha for our final choice in the anthology.

I'm only about 1/4 through and I began with poems that were submitted way back in May and am moving my way through the months. So if you submitted, you'll be hearing from me in the next few weeks.

I'll also be mailing out rejections this month and I truly dislike that doing that.

Poems - Always new poems waiting to be written. Always.

Comments

  1. Kristy Bowen is always doing fantastic things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh oh oh we'll be in the box together!! :)

    congrats!!

    m

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seems like every event in NYC sells out, so I'm not surprised about AWP. There are lots of writers on one of my listservs angry because they had planned to register onsite.

    Congrats on the Valentine's project! Sounds like a fun project to start kick off the new year.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Always love to hear from you...and the anonymous option is open for those feeling shy.