Favorite Poetry & Nonfiction Books of 2013 (An Incomplete List...)

Here's a list of some of the books I read in 2013 and that had an impact on me, that I loved, that I will read again, or that became my favorites.

I'm sure there are other books I read, probably earlier in 2013 that I've forgotten.  I'm sorry about that. I'm especially sorry about it if it's your book I forgot.

So apologies to the unmentioned book and applause to the books below (organized in no particular order...)--



POETRY BOOKS:


Unexplained Fevers by Jeannine Hall Gailey

*****One of my favorite books from JHG!


Our Andromeda by Brenda Shaunnessey

****I'm in love with everything Brenda has written.  Sadder poems compared to Human Dark with Sugar (another book I recommend), but incredible writing.


Vow by Rebecca Hazelton

****Discovered this book of poems this year and found a new poet I love.


Young Tambling by Kate Greenstreet

****Creative.  Smart.  Interesting.  And physically a beautiful book by a talented poet.

Search For a Velvet-Lined Cape by Marjorie Manwaring

****I've always been a fan of Marjorie and was SO happy that she has a full collection of poems!  What a smart poet, witty, entertaining, and interesting poems.


A Commonplace Book of Pie by Kate Lebo

****This book is sold in Whole Foods too.  Pie, poetry, what's not to love.  And another physically beautiful book you can give to non-poetry readers.


Pacific Walkers by Nance Van Winckel

****Nance is an amazing writer.  Another great collection from her.


The Boss by Victoria Chang

***Have been a fan of Victoria's from the wayback.  Happy to see this new book out with more great poems...

Burn This House by Kelly Davio

***Kelly's first book, though I'm sure there are many to come.



All The Odes by Pablo Neruda (HUGE book!)

***If you love Pablo, here's the book you need.





NONFICTION:














The Still Point of the Turning World by Emily Rapp

***Beautiful and sad, made me appreciate the details of my life.


Contagious: Why Things Catch On by Jonah Berger

***Interesting ideas of why certain things catch on and others don't.


Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Won't Stop Talking by Susan Cain

****Smart book and recommend for the introverts of the world.


Let's Explore Diabetes With Owls by David Sedaris

****Some people didn't like this book, but I felt it was David back to his old self after the talking animal book mishap.  There is one story where he talked to a telemarketer that had me laughing hard.


Wild by Cheryl Strayed

*** Good storytelling.  And being made into a movie.



_______________

Again, apologies for all the books I forgot and didn't mention--


Feel free to leave me your favorites of 2013 in the comment section or mention any great book I forgot.


~ Kells


  ~ Don't Miss a Post ~ Subscribe to Book of Kells by Email

Comments

  1. What a great list! I think that poetry book list is full of no-fail options - I'm going to try for a "best books to gift of 2013" too! Thanks for including me - I'm honored :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely picks, and not just a list but a short explanation of why it's on your list -- nice!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Always love to hear from you...and the anonymous option is open for those feeling shy.