Artist C.T. Chew & Walt Whitman: An Artful Sunday Morning...

So a few posts ago I was mentioning my love for art museums and how they always inspire me.  I mentioned how I remember my first Jacob Lawrence exhibit as well as seeing a Seattle artist's work there, C.T. Chew.

Well, my curiosity got the best of me and I found myself googling C.T. Chew to see if he was still doing art and what he's been up to.

Not only has he been doing art, but it's incredible.  And poetic.  So I wanted to share a few of his pieces (with his permission) of some of his remarkable work--


"Come, said my soul" by C.T. Chew
Print: Giclée on Paper, Limited Edition of 50, Aspect: 20"H x 15"W, 2010
This first image above "Come, said my soul" is probably my favorite.  Many of you know Whitman's love for the butterfly when I look at that image in the center, I see Whitman's poem becoming that winged thing and fluttering off.

Another Whitman inspired piece, is this one below:

"Miracles" by C.T. ChewPrint: Giclée on Paper, Limited Edition of 50, Aspect: 20"H x 15"W, 2010
So wonderful.  (I'll include Whitman's "Miracles" poem below so you can read the inspiration.)

It was such a treat, a gift, a miraculous occurrence to find this artist again.  I find his work so intriguing and it's something I connect with.  I'm always interested in what draws us to one artist and not to another.  But I am a definite fan.

If you need some inspiration, check out C.T. Chew's website here.
And his current works here, including the Walt Whitman pieces (which I believe are for sale.)

And one more Whitman inspired piece:

Unfolded by C.T. Chew
Print: Giclée on Paper, Limited Edition of 50, Aspect:15"H x 20"W, 2010

~ ~ ~

Miracles
by Walt Whitman

Why, who makes much of a miracle? 
As to me I know of nothing else but miracles, 
Whether I walk the streets of Manhattan, 
Or dart my sight over the roofs of houses toward the sky, 
Or wade with naked feet along the beach just in the edge of the water, 
Or stand under trees in the woods, 
Or talk by day with any one I love, or sleep in the bed at night 
with any one I love, 
Or sit at table at dinner with the rest, 
Or look at strangers opposite me riding in the car, 
Or watch honey-bees busy around the hive of a summer forenoon, 
Or animals feeding in the fields, 
Or birds, or the wonderfulness of insects in the air, 
Or the wonderfulness of the sundown, or of stars shining so quiet 
and bright, 
Or the exquisite delicate thin curve of the new moon in spring; 
These with the rest, one and all, are to me miracles, 
The whole referring, yet each distinct and in its place. 

To me every hour of the light and dark is a miracle, 
Every cubic inch of space is a miracle, 
Every square yard of the surface of the earth is spread with the same, 
Every foot of the interior swarms with the same. 
To me the sea is a continual miracle, 
The fishes that swim--the rocks--the motion of the waves--the 
ships with men in them, 
What stranger miracles are there? 


Share

Comments

  1. Not sure why, Kelli, but only one of the images (the first) is showing. Intrigued, I'm going to check out the Website.

    P.S. Jacob Lawrence's work is among my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maureen,

    For some reason, I was having issues with these images showing as well. I think (hope) I fixed them, I tried to make them smaller. Right now, they are all showing up on my screen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For me, they first appeared blank, then a tiny icon showed, of the sort you click. I clicked, was taken to larger image. Hit back, and came here, with image now showing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Always love to hear from you...and the anonymous option is open for those feeling shy.