Confession Tuesday


The Many Faces of Emily 

On Saturday, I had a small celebration for my book release with some friends from my writing group.  Because I don't know how to throw a party without having everyone dress up as something, there was of course, a theme, and a craft.  The theme: Come as your own version of Emily Dickinson.  The craft:  Do-it-yourself Emily heads (see photo above).

I was mostly on good behavior.  

But of course, I could have been better.

To the confessional--

I confess I believe people need to throw more parties.  And not, come over and sit at this large table party with your napkin on your lap parties, but parties where you arrive in costume or you do something.

Once we created art boxes.  Once we made soul cards.  I've had a birthday party with a Mardi Gras theme where we decorated masks and glitter everywhere.  

And you need to invite only the people who support you.  12 seems to be the most I can invite over without feeling overwhelmed or as if I didn't get the chance to talk with everyone. 8-10 is probably perfect.  I'll post a few more photos in us in our Emily Dickinson attire in upcoming posts.  If you're friends with me on Facebook, the whole album is open to you.  Feel free to browse through it.

~

I confess that while my party was incredibly sparkling, there was a small fly in my champagne (metaphor, metaphor).  This is something I realize I'm working through this year, this lifetime, that as much as I admire "perfection," want perfection, the perfect day, the perfect evening--Life, my baby, is not perfect.  

There is a part of me that believes imperfections makes things perfect.  I have always been the woman who has never been attracted to the Brad Pitts of this world, but more to the Elvis Costellos, the Lyle Lovetts, the Conan O'Briens. 

Still, I think I'm getting better with understanding or learning to understand that you can be eating the best ice cream of your life and watching a car accident happen.  The car accident should not make the ice cream taste terrible and the ice cream should not make the car accident seem not so bad.  2 things interacting at the same time.  I deal with it in my poems all the times, but in regular life?  Oh, it surprises me like crazy.

~

I confess I received some fantastic news on Thursday when I was visiting Susan Rich on Thursday.  A poem from Letters From the Emily Dickinson Room will be featured on Poetry Daily tomorrow (Wednesday).  

It is the first time I have ever had a poem featured there and I am ridiculously excited.  When I received the email, it was as if I had won the Oscar.  Especially because I know, Poetry Daily can only feature 365 poems/poets a year, and that my poem was chosen, has me doing the happy dance in places where I should just be standing politely.

Amen.

Share

Comments

  1. Congratulations on the Poetry Daily feature.

    I love the Dickinson "heads" idea for your party. Your writing group sounds like such fun.

    I'm looking forward to reading your new collection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poetry Daily is much like winning the Oscar. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A well deserved congrats!

    p.s. those heads are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL... Kelli, I'm a firm believer that the "happy dance" was intended for places one would otherwise stand politely quiet. Dance on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on your appearance on Poetry Daily - awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your ice cream, car accident explanation. So perfect. So true.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait to see the Emily costumes.

    And congrats on your Poetry Oscar! You deserve a rambling acceptance speech that keeps going long after the band tries to play you off.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Always love to hear from you...and the anonymous option is open for those feeling shy.