Money Changes Everything...

First, thank you all who left messages (on my blog and Jeannine's) with congratulations and thank you for the emails. It means a lot to me to hear from you with good words and wishes.


So, many have asked what I plan to do with the money from the Dorothy Rosenberg Prize. While I have set some aside to deal with practical things such as our old home and its maintenance, my most exciting purchase will be a wooden shed ($599) from Home Depot, which will be my summer writing studio.

It sounds a little odd, but these sheds are fantastic. My husband found them last summer and while my first response was, "You want me to write in a shed?" I was quite impressed when I saw them. There is one for a few thousand dollars in the shape of a barn with a sleeping loft. Anyway, that is the purchase I cannot wait for. I will post some photos of it when it's up. It will probably be April or May when it happens.


It will look similar to this, but smaller and without the lattice unless I decide I put that up.--


Also the poem "Mirror Beetle" was inspired by this glass beetle by a local Seattle artist named Roger Nachman. Here's a link to his website. He no longer makes these perfect little insects, but does larger installations locally and nationally. My friend A & I toured his studio and it was incredible.

Here's an image of the artwork which is in a true scientific species box. And lovely enough, the bug comes out of the box and has a pin on the back--truly wearable art.



Comments

  1. I seriously would love having a writing shed--it's adorable! It reminds me of the playhouse I always wanted when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So totally awesome: the award (well-deserved!) and the Shed. A shed of one's own....hot-cha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Robert Bly for many years used a shed (known loosely as the "chicken coop") as his place for writing. The story or legend is that he kept the exact location of it a secret, even from his family. I bet you'll really like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is great :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been bugging my husband to build me a writing shed! I want a shed. How hard can it be? Four walls, a floor, a door. Oh, and a ceiling and windows.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Always love to hear from you...and the anonymous option is open for those feeling shy.