Follow up on the Meme (oh there's that word again...)

Susan left a note for me regarding question #4 and I wanted to follow it up in a post.

Here's her follow-up questions...

Hi Susan,

I am asking if it matters to you as writer/reader that you connect with your peers. Do you celebrate and support other women.

You know, it's funny. When I write a poem, I sort of assume I'm writing for another woman. Sometimes I'm surprised (as well as happy) when a man likes my work because I never really know if I'm connecting with men.

It does matter to me if other women find my work interesting and engaging. And I feel/hope that all readers feel that about my work, though poetry is such a personal thing--what works for one person, may not for anotehr.

As for celebrating and supporting other women, my answer is a definite yes. I think it's so important to highlight other women artists as for so long all the fine arts are have been dominated by men (and many still are).

January (aka PoetMom)had a quote on her blog that said, "There's a special place in hell for women that don't support other women" (or something similar), and I think it's a good reminder to use as women writers.

As I said in a previous post, I'd like to see more women writing critically (I fall into this category myself as it's a goal for me this year). While there is a large selection of women writing poetry, I'd love to see more articles, essays, or interviews about women poets by women. Of course, I'd like to see more articles, essays, or interviews about women poets written by men as well. I'd just like to see more.

Comments

  1. Thanks for following up Kelli. I was nodding my head throughout your post.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Always love to hear from you...and the anonymous option is open for those feeling shy.