Thankful Thursday - Women Artists

"I Will Be With You" by Mayumi Oda
Last night I watched Who Does She Think She Is? and if you are a mother artist or mother writer, you must see this documentary.

I am so moved by this movie and the artists to build their lives around their art and family.    I learned that part of it will be placed on PBS in May and here's a link to their blog with the dates and channels.

So today I'm thankful for women who are creating.  Who are trying to balance their art and their family.  Who are trying to balance their art and their job.  Who are trying balance.

Some artists I know, like or think you might enjoy---

*Please feel free to leave the name(s) of your favorite women artists in the comment section.  I'd love to have a large list of inspiring women here to refer to...

Here's my short & incomplete list--


Nancy Canyon

Kelly Thiel

Catrin Welz-Stein (she did the cover for my book)


Other women artist links--

Who Does She Think She Is? on Facebook

Who Does She Think She Is?  the Theatrical Trailer

Women of Women Made: A Gallery Showing, April 30 (Chicago)


Thank you to all the creative women in the world.  

Comments

  1. Off the top of my head:

    Kathe Kollwitz (should be an umlaut over the "a" in her first name)

    Frida Kahlo
    Georgia O'Keeffe
    Berthe Morisot
    Tamara de Lempicka
    Varvara Stepanova
    Tecla
    Sue Coe

    The above all do (or do primarily) paintings, drawings, engravings, and similar work.

    Some women photographers whose work I like include:

    Dorothea Lange
    Tina Modotti
    Imogen Cunningham
    Graciela Iturbide
    Lee Miller

    Poet Gina Franco has also been doing photography quite actively for several years, and has a Shutterchance photo blog online. I think she also has a Flickr photo page.

    Apart from the above, the website of the Lilith Gallery of Toronto includes a large section devoted to women artists.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Always love to hear from you...and the anonymous option is open for those feeling shy.