There is so much I could blog about from AWP.

From how some people go crazy for it, love it, want to eat it up and wear it in their hair

To other people, who attend because they think they should, or because they want to make a connection, find a publisher, editor, or poetgod.

I am someone who has a love/hate relationship with AWP. I love meeting the live person behind the words but I hate anything that feels like a) networking b)phoniness c) hierarchy.

I love telling my favorite poet that I love her work, but I am not good in big groups. I do not like doing anything that resembles shmoozing or trying to fit into conversations.

The second night, when the parties really got started and the bars and readings were filled, I skipped everything, even my MFA reunion to go back to the hotel and read books and watch Cake Boss with my family who came to DC with me.

Yes this photo below is a good representation of what I most loved about DC-- sightseeing.

But I did have a good time at AWP. Maybe not as good as some, but enough to know I'll be there for 2014.

No, I don't have to go every year. But I do think I won't let 7 years go by until my next one like I did last time. There are good people and poets out there. It's nice to connect in person, to see the poet or reader, what is usually hidden by the page.

Comments

  1. I originally thought AWP 2012 was going to be in Seattle. Imagine my disappointment when I found out it was going to Chicago yet again. Who made that bargain? Nothing against Chicago, but at least in Seattle you have a less chance of blizzards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Collin,

    in my mind, the AWP schedule looks something like this--

    Vancouver
    Chicago
    Austin
    Chicago
    Denver
    East Coast somewhere
    Chicago
    DC
    Chicago

    They (the powers that be?) must LOVE Chicago.

    I might go to Boston, but I won't be going to Chicago. I'm guessing the Antarctic was booked. (I stole that from Twitter!) ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think 2014 will be Seattle, if I remember right. (?)

    Kelli, it was nice meeting face to face. I did a few panel/reading events, in addition to prowling the bookfair -- I managed to pace myself pretty well. I don't mind crowds or large numbers of people, in fact I tend to thrive in such an environment, although I did somewhat start to zone out later in the day, and I usually holed up in my hotel room in the evenings to read and write.

    I've written about AWP in my blog, here, if you care to take a look.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Always love to hear from you...and the anonymous option is open for those feeling shy.