Random Thoughts on a Thursday

Morning Headlines & Flashback to HS--

This headline made me smile this morning: Jimmy Carter calls Cheney a "disaster"

I like this new use of the word "disaster" and I've been seeing it a lot more in reference to people--Britney Spears, I think Donald Trump called Rosie O'Donnell a disaster--and it brings me back to high school Driver's Ed when Mark, my ridiculous driving partner panicked in the Sears parking lot and started swerving in and out of cars. All he could say while Mr. Stoddard tried to press down on the teacher's brake located on the passenger side of the car was "I'm a disaster. And I'm causing a disaster." As frightened as I was for my life, I was impressed with Ridiculous Mark's way of finding the right words.

*

What I've been Googling--

Sometimes I think I could write a poem from the phrases I've googled. Maybe this should be a challenge. I realized yesterday I googled "insects in space," "planet Yellowjacket," and "bee satellites." All would make intriguing titles to poems.

*

Sherman Alexie News--

FROM THE SEATTLE TIMES:

Sherman Alexie among National Book Award finalists

Seattle author, film director and essayist Sherman Alexie's young-adult novel based on his life,

"The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian," is a finalist for the National Book Award.
Alexie, 41, is one of five finalists in the young people's category. Reached Wednesday in Miami, where he's on a book tour, Alexie said, "I'm ecstatic. My editor woke me up with the news. I thought I was dreaming."

Alexie said the book, about a young Native American who survives a harrowing upbringing on his reservation and leaves to pursue his dreams, has touched a chord like none other of his works.

"The response from the road is larger than anything in my career," he said. "My wife and I are calling it the hug-and-run tour. People are coming up in tears, and hugging me and running. There is no jaded literary response among the audience. It's so validating."
Alexie said the "very, very autobiographical" nature of the book makes the attention even more gratifying. "It's scary to put a very close version of my story out in the world — there's a lot of emotional capital at stake. I keep thinking of my mom and dad years ago, who somehow had the bravery to let me go."

Read full story here.

Comments