2015 Reading Year in Review... #TuesdayBookBlog #Motivational

Dear Reader, 

I have not been doing a lot of blogging this year, but a lot of reading, writing, and working at Two Sylvias Press.


Because of this, this little blog has fallen to the side. Perhaps other social media is to blame as once something is shared on Facebook or Twitter, sometimes it doesn't make it here.


But this is my favorite use of LONG FORM content, this and Medium, so I hope in 2016 to be at least present on this blog...


I did do a lot of reading this year, here's a bit of what I've read:


2015 BOOK REVIEWS (Part 1!) 


Nonfiction:

Not F*ing Around: The No Bullsh*t Guide for Getting Your Creative Dreams Off the Ground by Jeff Leisawitz


First, a disclaimer, I know Jeff personally. But honestly, that only makes me like this book MORE because Jeff *lives* what he writes. He is a creative positive person who brings humor, fun, and motivation into the lives of people around him.

What I love about the book is that even though I feel I have worked hard to live the creative life I've always wanted to live, sometimes it gets lonely and tiring on my own. This book felt as if there was someone else who understands it and ready to share the wealth and reminders of why we do this and the benefits of it.  Yes, risk is involved. Yes, each creative life is different. But we forget this and for me, I felt this book is there to hold my hand when doubt sets in. My favorite chapter? Play it Unsafe.

I'm not sure how to say this more formally, but the book is a sweet read (like a sweet ride into the life you want). It's easy and enjoyable to take in and probably the book I would recommend to start off your new year. 


You Are a Badass: How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness &  Live an Awesome Life by Jen Sincero

I have written about women need to steer the boat of their own life and stop believing that their wake, what's in the past, is what's steering them. This book is about making choices for a better life. I got this book for my mum (warned her about the language) and honestly, she loved it.

It's totally motivational--in that good way. Not cheesy, but smart. I listened to the audiobook and it was as if I had my own personal peptalk, personal coach in my ear. I have read on Amazon, a couple people didn't like her approach, but I admire how Jen really calls people out for their limiting beliefs and behaviors--and I felt in a positive, look-I-did-this-you-can-do-it-too way.  So I'm putting my recommendation behind this book, especially for women.




Essentialism: The Disciplined Pursuit of Less By Greg McKeown  --  

If you're someone like me who appreciates simple living, and realizing *less* is *more* - this book doesn't just dive into how we really do not need a lot of stuff to be happy, but also about prioritizing your time, saying "no" to things that drain you. You have a better life because you choose your priorities and discard the rest.  

Sounds simple, but the books acts a bit as a motivator and reminder to living this way. It's easy to get caught up in the busy-ness of the world. 




Less Doing, More Living: Make Everything in Life Easier by Ari Meisel

The best part of this book is all the hacks he includes. Ways to consolidate your life, to make things simple. Like IFTTT (If This, Then That) I had no idea about this website, but you can make personal recipes to again, consolidate your life. So you don't have to do things you normally have to do by hand. For example, if you post a photo on instagram and want to tweet it, you can do that. Or if the weather drops to a certain degree in your area, you can have your car turn on... Seriously, if you have the right app, you can make about anything happen.

BUT back to the book-- the book is filled with tips like that. Some won't work for you, or maybe too much money, but many are great ways to make your life easier.



_____________________

That is only about 5% of what I've read this year. More book reviews coming in the next few weeks!




~ Kells 

Don't miss a blog post: Subscribe to Book of Kells Blog by Email

_________________

Connect with Kelli Russell Agodon and Two Sylvias Press here:

Follow on:
Facebook: www.facebook.com/agodon
Twitter: www.twitter.com/kelliagodon

Instagram: www.instagram.com/kelliagodon
Newsletter: www.tinyletter.com/agodon 


Facebook: www.facebook.com/twosylviaspress
Twitter: www.twitter.com/twosylviaspress

Instagram: www.instagram.com/twosylviaspress 
Newsletter: www.tinyletter.com/twosylviaspress 


www.agodon.com
www.twosylviaspress.com

________________________________________________

Comments