What I'm Reading: DIGEST by Gregory @Pardlo



One of my favorite poems from Digest:

Written by Himself

BY GREGORY PARDLO
I was born in minutes in a roadside kitchen a skillet
whispering my name. I was born to rainwater and lye;
I was born across the river where I
was borrowed with clothespins, a harrow tooth,
broadsides sewn in my shoes. I returned, though
it please you, through no fault of my own,
pockets filled with coffee grounds and eggshells.
I was born still and superstitious; I bore an unexpected burden.
I gave birth, I gave blessing, I gave rise to suspicion.
I was born abandoned outdoors in the heat-shaped air,
air drifting like spirits and old windows.
I was born a fraction and a cipher and a ledger entry;
I was an index of first lines when I was born.
I was born waist-deep stubborn in the water crying
                              ain’t I a woman and a brother I was born
to this hall of mirrors, this horror story I was
born with a prologue of references, pursued
by mosquitoes and thieves, I was born passing
off the problem of the twentieth century: I was born.
I read minds before I could read fishes and loaves;
I walked a piece of the way alone before I was born.



Poem above from Digest, Four Way Books & Winner of the Pulitzer Prize
RECOMMENDED!
From Epicurus to Sam Cook, the Daily News to RootsDigest draws from the present and the past to form an intellectual, American identity. In poems that forge their own styles and strategies, we experience dialogues between the written word and other art forms. Within this dialogue we hear Ben Jonson, we meet police K-9s, and we find children negotiating a sense of the world through a father's eyes and through their own.

"A brainy, compassionate book (Pardlo’s second) that uses a pleasingly large stylistic palette to paint a portrait of fatherhood, racial politics and Brooklyn before it became a place to buy $30 glasses of bourbon."
--David Orr, The New York Times
"A bright-red thread of fatherhood runs through this book-at times tenuous, at times mythic-always searching and revelatory, grounded in our present moment while wrestling with eternity-a thrilling, brilliant, and deeply moving ride."
--Nick Flynn

~ Kells 
www.agodon.com
www.twosylviaspress.com

Want more on creativity and the literary life?  -- Subscribe by Email


Comments