Confession Tuesday: Looking Up & A Quote Not By Meryl Streep





Dear Reader,

The best part of growing up and growing older is the realization that you get to choose how you spend your time and who you want in your life.


I confess when it comes to time, I realize I have no idea how many minutes I get on this planet, but I get to decide how I use them. Each fall I think about how I am spending my time and how I want to spend my time to make sure they are in sync.


I make sure that I am not *mindlessly* doing anything-- surfing the internet, shifting papers around, eating snacks. The day "can get away from us," as they say, but really, we are letting the day walk out the door without us.

Now that my workyear has restarted, I am trying to make sure I doing what's best for my writing and Two Sylvias Press, my two focuses when it comes to my work. Sometimes, I find I'm wasting time on Facebook, what do I do?  Either delete a post, log off, deactivate my account, or there's this fantastic app as well, humorously called "Self Control" (you can download it here --;  
http://selfcontrolapp.com/)


~
I confess that Marilyn Monroe has been on my mind lately. Here's a candid shot of her at Costello's restaurant.

I could look at her photos for hours. Her expressions were always said so much.

~


I confess when it comes to friendships and relationships, I realize I can only keep the most kind, supportive, and loving people in my life.  I am not a fan of drama or on-again, off-again relationships. I think the best of people and am a very open and trusting person if you're my friend. But every so often, I take inventory of the people I'm spending my time with and decide if it's both healthy and good for me to have that person in my life.  If it's not, I create boundaries, borders, walls, and everyone once in awhile, large moats with well-fed crocodiles.


If you've ever seen Meet the Fockers, you'll know the dad (Robert DeNiro) talks about "the circle of trust." This cracks me up because I realize that I do have various circles of friends in my life and in my head, and these circles help me sort out what I can share with whom.


~

I confess a few weeks ago this quote was rounding the internet being attributed to Meryl Streep, but I connected with it. It's not her words, but it's a good quote for living a life:




“I no longer have patience for certain things, not because I’ve become arrogant, but simply because I reached a point in my life where I do not want to waste more time with what displeases me or hurts me. I have no patience for cynicism, excessive criticism and demands of any nature. I lost the will to please those who do not like me, to love those who do not love me and to smile at those who do not want to smile at me. I no longer spend a single minute on those who lie or want to manipulate. I decided not to coexist anymore with pretense, hypocrisy, dishonesty and cheap praise. I do not tolerate selective erudition nor academic arrogance. I do not adjust either to popular gossiping. I hate conflict and comparisons. I believe in a world of opposites and that’s why I avoid people with rigid and inflexible personalities. In friendship I dislike the lack of loyalty and betrayal. I do not get along with those who do not know how to give a compliment or a word of encouragement. Exaggerations bore me and I have difficulty accepting those who do not like animals. And on top of everything I have no patience for anyone who does not deserve my patience.” 


- José Micard Teixeira apparently, for  Meryl Streep



Dear friends, 

Life is hard enough as is. Be easy on yourself and each other.

Amen.

~ Kells
 
Don't Miss a Post ~ Subscribe to Book of Kells by Email

Comments