Poem of the Day "The Queen" by Pablo Neruda #Potd #poetry


Pablo Neruda's The Queen ~ In English...

One Valentine's day many years ago my husband roamed through my books of poems and typed out the last two stanzas of this poem for me. It has been my favorite since then.


The Queen

I have named you queen

There are taller ones than you, taller.
There are purer ones than you, purer.
There are lovelier ones than you,
lovelier.

But you are the queen.

When you go through the streets
no one recognizes you.
No one sees your crystal crown, no
one looks
at the carpet of red gold
that you tread as you pass,
the nonexistent carpet

And when you appear
all the river sound
in my body, bells
shake the sky,
and a hymn fills the world.

Only you and I,
only you and I, my love,
listen to it.

Pablo Neruda
translated by Donald D. Walsh 


~ Kells

    ~ Don't Miss a Post ~ Subscribe to Book of Kells by Email

Comments