Confession Tuesday on Wednesday


Dear Reader,

I confess I'm late...

This is my summer life (even though the weather has been fall-ish) where I don't wear a watch (okay, I never wear a watch), nor look at the calendar.

I've been missing appointments and almost missing a couple deadlines because I've been doing everything except what I should be doing.  Except when I'm doing it.  And I have been doing a lot!

TO the confessional--

I confess we're meeting today to choose the finalists for the Crab Creek Review Poetry Prize.

The entries were EXCELLENT this year and we found some incredible poems!  We're narrowing them down, some will go on to Susan Rich to judge for the contest, all be we published in Crab Creek Review.  I'm excited to see what everyone found.

~

I confess I've had a hard time focusing lately.  I'm not sure why.  Maybe because I'm really only doing one thing right now-- judging contests.  I'm judging two contests and one had a huge number of entries.  That has taken up so much time, plus turned my office into a paper disaster.

~

I confess I tried the game Draw Something.  Don't try it. It's crazy addicting in a bad way.  Time not slips by, but kicks you in the bum as it's passing... all of a sudden 20 minutes is gone (where did it go?!)  I am probably going to delete this app off my phone because it's making me feel bad about how I'm using my time.

~

I confess I had something to tell you and now I don't remember.  I hate that.
I need to write things down or they are gone.  I cannot imagine what a looney I'll be at 90.

~

Speaking of 90, I visited my 100 1/2 year old Nana yesterday and while she has terrible short term memory, her long term memory is incredible.  We were asking her how to say words in French and she remembered everything.  My mum only remembers her Catholic prayers, but my Nana remembers all of it and was correcting us when we mispronounced. It was pretty amazing.

~

I confess I must shower and get on with my day.  Two meetings-- Crab Creek Review & Two Sylvias Press.

We're discussing our next projects.  We also want to do a Kickstarter project.

Speaking of which, while I am half-French on my mum's side, I'm also Irish on my father's side and this project for a children's book charmed me--

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2144366376/tales-from-gedeonore-book-one-the-house-pet

The author wrote to me and asked if I'd mention it here.  So there we are.  (But I wouldn't mention it if I didn't like it or think you would, and I do.)

~
I confess there are so many Kickstarter projects I want to fund/back.  One day I hope to have enough money to fund artists and writers.  Yes, I think it's that important.

I would love to be someone's patron some day.  To support poets and artists and writers with real money, $$$, lots of it.  I hope one day to get to this place where I could just give my money away to the creative folks in the world doing good things.

Oh and because of this want to give away $$money$$ to writers, we raised our Editors' Prize at Crab Creek Review to $200.  You don't apply for it, every year we choose one writer to give $200 to just because we loved his/her work.  You have to submit and be published to win...if you're interested, we'll start taking submissions in August 2012 again.


Amen.
 
Share

Comments