Thursday, April 19, 2012

Confession Thursday??

10 pm at VooDoo Donuts...


Dear Reader,

I am late late late on confessing this week. I was traveling all day Tuesday with Susan Rich to Portlandia for a workshop and reading, then didn't return to yesterday afternoon.  Just catching up on email was a task.

But I'm back and I have a few thoughts on things, so let's get to the confessional--

I confess since coming back home, the one thought I've had in my head is "garbage in, garbage out."

I realize that when I am out traveling, I am reading less of the garbage on the internet and instead of living through my head, I live through my body and senses.

I confess one bad habit I have is reading MSN and the Huffington Post in the morning.

MSN & HuffPost are two places that highlight garbage news stories that I click to read.  Today the Huffington Post had a "story" (and I use that word loosely here) about Jennifer Love Hewitt without makeup.  She tweeted a photo of herself and it was in the top 5 most popular stories.

MSN had something about the what's the poorest county in each state, big cats look in mirror and get scared, men catch 20 foot shark, and a study that soccer is like sex.

I read this:  Garbage in.
I go to write or talk to someone: Garbage out.

I'm not helping the situation.

I had given up these two websites then returned to them as if their stories would offer me interesting, inspiration, intellect.  But sadly, I feel as if I'm just sucking myself into trash compactor when I read what's in front of me.

So I'm cutting them out of my life again.  And CNN.  And local news.

NPR does a good job of keeping me informed. I do not need to read all the crud the news media calls news to get higher ratings. I do not need to see another celebrity with or without makeup, pregnant or not pregnant, nor do I need to read the freakshow stuff I've been seeing lately that just makes me sad.

If I could change one thing in America, it would be that news shows would not get ratings like regular tv shows.  I think we'd all live better lives just by that one change.

~

I confess in Portland, it was hard to tell the homeless people from the hipster-dufuses.  Everyone looks the same.

~

I confess that last comment is not a slam against Portland, I love it there, every Portlandia aspect of it.  If I was going to slam Portland it would be for the number of bridges I was lost on.  Of course, Seattle has its own set of traffic/road issues, so we're not any better example of how to do roads right.

~

I confess I went to VooDoo Donuts because it's been the most talked about place by my friends who went to Oregon.  I did visit quickly and left with a dozen donuts.  The maplebar faces with a creme filling were my favorite.  My husband liked Maple Bar with Bacon.  My daughter-- the voodoo doll and Captain Crunch.

Most of all I loved the pink box.  It made me happy.

~

I confess cake boxes make me happy.  Very happy.  Especially pink cake boxes.

~

I confess we read at In Other Words, which is the feminist bookstore (Women & Women First) featured on the show "Portlandia."  Everyone was wonderful and as I taught the poetry workshop with Susan, I pretended I was on my own personal episode.

Sometimes being a poet feels as if you're in your own comedy.

That's okay.

~

The dream of the 90's is alive in Portland...

Amen.

Share

1 comment:

  1. "Sometimes being a poet feels as if you're in your own comedy." OMG I so ge that! LOL. Acually I think most of my family believes I daily write, direct and star in my own comedy... problems is hey don't get it.

    ReplyDelete

Always love to hear from you...and the anonymous option is open for those feeling shy.

Related Posts with Thumbnails