A Letter from Novelist Harper Lee:


From ArtDaily:

LOS ANGELES, CA.- A 1960 typed letter signed by Harper Lee elaborates about the fictional Maycomb County in “To Kill a Mockingbird” and includes a hand-drawn map of the state of Alabama with the words “Maycomb County.” 

The letter will be auctioned at Nate D. Sanders’ Tuesday November 8, 2011 auction. 

The famed novelist wrote the letter just two months after the publication of her landmark Civil Rights book. The letter reads in part, “You ask me where Maycomb County is, where the Landing is—the only answer I can give you is that Maycomb County is in my heart and the Landing is in my imagination. If, in “To Kill a Mockingbird,” I persuaded you that those places are real, that means I have succeeded in my profession, which is writing fiction. 

Lee inscribes at the bottom of the letter, “Here is your map:” and scribbles an outline of the state of Alabama with the words ‘Maycomb County’ labeled in the northern/central part of the state. 


You can read the whole article at ArtDaily (which is a fantastic website to visit daily, btw)

Share

Comments