Confession Tuesday - the THURSDAY edition

(Buddy Holly, my camping dog after a 3 mile hike and ocean swim)


Forgive me Reader, I have not only sinned but have shown up 2 days late for Confession Tuesday.  It has been 9 days since my last confession.

For the last week my life has been a mix of drama and family, though wonderfully enough, the two aren't combined.  The drama happened on its own and the family came later.

There's too many stories.  This confession could be continued next week, so let's just begin.  

To the confessional--


I confess last week my girlfriend and I took our daughters camping and suggested we go "on a little bike ride."  If you know me, I am an avid mountain biker and what begin as a nice jaunt through the park ended up as a 2 1/2 hr., ten mile bike ride over incredible (both in beauty and difficult) trails.  

Our daughters were ready to kill us, but oddly enough did not complain until it was over and then refused to go biking with us again until we "knew the trails better..."  I confess I was very proud of those two 10 year old girls and I think a little hard work never hurts anyone.

~

I confess that when I woke up at 3 am because I heard animals on our campsite, that I actually left our tent with my flashlight and actually looked up in the sky because it had that feel of clouds, and actually thought, "I think it might rain tonight."  

And at that moment, with all our towels and gear out, our wood not placed safely undercover away from the rain, with all the things that could and would get wet if it rained, I saw a bag of our ground coffee for the morning exposed to the elements and took my daughter's friend's sweatshirt and threw it over it and went back to bed.  

And in the morning it had rained, everything was soaked, a few things ruined, but our coffee was dry.  Priorities.

~

I confess I saved the hardest part of this confession for now.  My husband was in his first triathlon on Saturday and what began as an incredible amount of training and excitement, ended in an ambulance trip to the ER and an overnight stay.

He was kicked in the face during the swim portion, aspirated water into his lungs and began coughing up blood.  

My daughter and I did not see this though because he was too far out and we saw how well he was doing so we ran to the where the athletes exit the water.  One after another each swimmer left the water and my husband didn't.  My daughter kept asking me where her dad was.  When I could see the last swimmer and it wasn't my husband, I knew something bad had happened.  But my mind went to tragic as I thought he had drowned.  

I spent 3 days on an emotional rollercoaster just from the fear of what had happened and seeing him in the hospital hooked up to oxygen.  (Note:  he is okay now & is back up to full oxygen and it looks as if he will be fine-- the blood was caused from the water irritating his lungs.)  

Thankfully, my cousin from New Jersey arrived on Monday with his family and took away all my emotional hiccups I kept having.  I had been crying for days. 

My family & I have spent the last 3 days completely in a cloud with this wonderful group.  I am reminded life consists of heartbeats and moments of connection, I am trying to do my best to make sure I am filled with them.

Amen.

Comments

  1. Scary triathalon. So glad to hear your husband is safe and well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweetie, I'm so sorry about this. Glad he is all right and you are doing better as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, I'm glad he's okay. That sounds just terrifying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. omg! i would have totally freaked out too, K! So so glad he is better. Did the other person even know they kicked someone in the face??!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks all! And no, A, the other swimmer had no idea, it was chaotic.

    Very scary! But rose is better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, Kelli. How scary. So glad to hear your husband is better. Sending all good thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, scary for sure. So glad that he's going to be okay.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad he's OK, but yes, so scary. And traumatic for you. So take it easy for a couple of days. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Always love to hear from you...and the anonymous option is open for those feeling shy.