hope you got what you want...




It's the day after Christmas... if you have kids, your house may be trashed (like mine). Or maybe you're a better housekeeper than I am. I must say, the domestic arts and I run in different groups. One day I will learn to cook and clean. But there are so many books to read. How to do both?

Santa brought me what I wanted for Christmas (and things I didn't even know I wanted). Books and books. One I can't wait to read is Women Poets on Mentorship: Efforts and Affections edited by Arielle Greenburg and Rachel Zucker.

I also received The Best American Poetry 2009: Series Editor David Lehman
edited by David Wagoner (and has a poem from Martha Silano in it!), a book on organizing for the year (I know, so Capricorn to ask for this) and a book about how to do Mail Art, as I am one of the people in the world who still loves to write handwritten letters. I just wanted to add a little flair to them.

Also, a bag of Starbucks Christmas blend and an embosser for my books that reads (when pressed hard enough): "From the Library of Kelli Russell Agodon" and has a big KRA in the center. I love this. I cannot tell you how long I've wanted an embosser to mark my books. I'm kind of territorial about my books. They are my paper security blanket. I don't feel right if I leave the house without a book. I can admit this to you because I know there are a few people who read this blog that feel the same way.

My daughter's favorite gift (besides the electric guitar Santa brought her) were the Warrior books (specifically http://www.amazon.com/Warriors-Power-Three-Box-Volumes/dp/0061782297/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1261841902&sr=1-6) she received. She loves these books. She started reading them when she was 8 and has been hooked since. I think it's pretty wonderful how kids are hooked on so many great series books. Warriors,, Harry Potter, Magic Tree House, even Twilight. Right now at her school, reading is the thing to be doing. I cannot tell you how it warms my heart to see her or one of her friends take out a book and start reading.

It's one of the reasons I get so annoyed when I read something like the poor next generation and their texting, their internet, their cellphones, etc. Her elementary school is beyond better than the suburban school I went to in the 70's. If anything, my generation was the TV generation, not this group. No one went to a bookstore at midnight to get any book being released in the 70's. I loved Judy Blume and Nancy Drew books, but I wasn't standing in line to get the next one (though Super Fudge came close...) I think adults are way too tough on this generation, maybe they realize just how much they know and how much smarter they will be than us...

But back to the holiday. It was wonderful being with my family on Christmas (all in a great mood), having our traditional Italian Christmas dinner (though we are French), wearing our paper hats (though only 1/2 of us are part English/Irish), and wishing each other a Happy Solstice (though we are Catholic).

I feel very thankful for the people in my life and who thought of me this year.

Comments