The Poet I've Been Searching For...

So for the last few months (or longer), I've been asking you for your advice on a new poet to love. I've tried to date your favorites and while I admire them for their great personality and style, there hasn't been the chemistry I've been searching for.

Then, thanks to Poetry Daily (I believe), who featured her work, I found my new favorite poet and book of poems.

KATHRYN SIMMONDS Sunday at the Skin Launderette (Poetry Book Society Recommendation)


I am reading her book slowly and intently and just enjoying it. She writes in both in form and free verse. She lives in London and was born in 1972.

As I look at the cover of this book I'm noticing that it was "Shortlisted for the 2008 Costa Poetry Award" and was the "Winner fo the Forward Prize fro Best First Collection."

This feels like one of the books I read in the the late 90's to early 2000's when I discovered Jane Mead, Christine Garren, Olena Kalytiak Davis, Beth Ann Fennelly-- all those books I could not put down.

So many of my poetry books have been going on my shelf after one read. This will not be one of them.

*

Comments