Poem a Day

Since St. Patty's Day I've been writing a poem a day with a group of poets. I plan to carry it over into April (NaPoWriMo - National Poetry Writing Month) where many poets write a poem a day.

What strikes me with this latest undertaking of a-poem-a-day is that I've found many more of these latest poems have been keepers. I did the poem a day in August and some of those poems went onto the revision process, but a lot of them just sort of sat looking at me asking, "Now what?" (Curious poems.)

I've been trying to determine why these poems are coming out stronger. Maybe because lately there's been more drama in my life than I'm used to and I'm channeling that, while in August I was just finishing up my MFA and spending my days at the beach. Maybe after my little writing hiatus the month after grad school, I'm "filling up" again, so to speak. I could feel nourished from the writing retrea to Sylvia Beach Hotel or maybe it's because I stopped trying to write during the day and have actually been getting out living life, having adventures, lunches with friends, writing dates, museum dates, and just good times that at night when I do sit down to write, I have something to write about.

I'm not sure why exactly, but I'm thankful for this creative jag. If I could only bottle it and save it for later. Maybe I can.

I'll be posting some writing prompts and exercises upcoming for anyone who wants to try to write a poem a day for National Poetry Month.

Comments

  1. Since March 1, I have also been doing a poem a day. Looking back, I believe that about half of them are real keepers (although, I need to go through quite a bit of revising!) Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Always love to hear from you...and the anonymous option is open for those feeling shy.